Sunday, July 6, 2008

Correspondence

Ok, I am not a very good correspondent at all! I can't even seem to write en mass.
We have been having fun and staying busy. In June Ben had to work down in Kenai for a couple of weeks, Felicity and I were able to join him for the first week and play in Soldotna and Kenai. Since getting back I have begun the count down to Baby time. Thanks to Mom, Erynne, Ben, and his Bro, Jason our house is finally looking like there is a baby coming soon. In fact, we will be having baby Marvin on Friday, July 11, 2008. I am so very ready to have this kiddo out! It will also be nice to know if it is a girl or a boy finally! I don't think I like the anticipation of not knowing- too bad my children never consult me about if I want to know or not!
One of the other things I have been working on is making sure that there is easy to create food on hand for Ben to cook. As we were discussing this and I was trying to figure out what I usually cook, I came to the realization that I don't follow recipes when cooking. I follow ideas from recipes. Yes, I know this is not a great revelation to anyone who has eaten at my house. But it did give me some thing to think about and Ben suggested that I should blog my dinners online. I have decided to try it and see what comes of it. Especially since some of our favorite dishes are lost to time because I didn't write down what in the world I put in them!

Here is my first attempt:

Dinner tonight was Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
What I put in it:
1 Chicken breast, seasoned with garlic and paprika, slice and sautéed
2 cup Broccoli, tossed in with pasta for the last 3 minutes of cooking
1 packet powdered Alfredo pasta sauce mix (knorr brand I think)
8 oz small pasta

Make alfredo sauce as directed, I added a dash of cayenne pepper and about a tablespoon of dried parsley.
Boil pasta as directed, add broccoli for the last three minutes.
Once the sauce is done toss pasta, broccoli, and chicken in sauce and serve with Parmesan cheese.

This was done in about 30 minutes becauce the chicken had to cook. You could use canned or pre-cooked chicken and it would be finished in the 10 minutes it takes to boil the pasta. It serves three adults.

Yesterday's dinner was pretty good too.
BBQ Ribs
1 rack spare ribs
Montreal steak seasoning
BBQ sauce

Slice ribs into 2-3 rib sections. Sprinkle with Montreal steak seasoning and put in crock pot (slow cooker). Cook for 5 hours on high.

Remove from crock pot. (strain fat and use broth for soup) Place ribs on cooking sheet (line with foil to help with mess clean up) brush with BBQ sauce and place in oven set to low broil. Broil for 15 minutes or until sauce has browned and caramelized. Turn over and brush with more sauce, broil 15 more minutes.
We served ours with potato salad and veggie sticks with ranch dip.

1 comment:

Joanna E. Dickson said...

I like the dinners idea. Next you have to tell us how to make a tasty soup of those ribs drippings.